SaveAtHomeMommy.com is starting a new feature looking at meals that cost $5 or less to prepare. Here’s here first one, and it’s also a Meatless Monday recipe!
• 1 loaf of French bread – $1 sale item (or any big loaf of bread should do)
• 1 8oz can tomato sauce – $.20 (my stock-up price)
• Italian blend cheese and/or mozzarella – $2 or less (Lucerne sales at Vons should make this even cheaper)
• Fresh basil – FREE from your garden
• Fresh tomato – FREE from your garden
• 1 clove minced garlic – should have on hand
• 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning – should have on hand
• 2 lb bag frozen green beans – $1.76 at WinCo
Slice French bread in half lengthwise. Mix tomato sauce and minced garlic together, add some salt, pepper, and a little Italian Seasoning. Spread tomato sauce mixture over bread, top with fresh tomatoes, basil, and cheese. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 5-8 minutes or until cheese has melted. Slice into pieces and serve with steamed green beans.
From Aimee: We are starting a new series called “Favorite Meals $5 or Less” because lets face it, we all want to make nutritious meals that don’t cost too much! So lets pitch in together and share our favorite CHEAP meals! If you have a low cost meal idea, then please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Each week a new recipe will be posted for all of us to enjoy in our own homes!!! Each meal should feed around 4 people.